“All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
~ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Another turn around the sun…and what would you do?
There is a quote that says: “If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
It also says that the definition of “insanity” is: “Doing the Same Old Things & Expecting Different Results”
If things have worked well for you so far, if you are healthy, happy, in peace and walk with the knowledge that what you do contributes to other people’s and being’s wellbeing, then you should continue doing what you have been doing…
But for most of us, life is a constant quest, a roller-coaster and an evolution where we are always looking to become better people (inside and outside).
This Year that starts soon, I propose this to you:
- Take inventory of your own and your community assets, needs, gaps, risks and opportunities
- Start with gratitude: just to be alive is already a blessing…look around, what else you need to be grateful for?
- Learn something new: check the local library or visit Coursera or edX for free, high quality courses
- Lend a hand, adopt someone or a cause: we are not here to live only for ourselves
- Grow something at home: herbs, vegetables, fruits…and experience the awesomeness of life and self-reliance!
- Repair something: avoid waste and consumption…remember the old days when we were truly in charge and without debt?
- Reject something: we don’t need so much “stuff”: we need less things and more experiences, deeper and better relationships
- Abandon something: choose an old pattern/habit and practice living without it for at least a week, then a month, then a quarter…then a year!
- Meet somebody new and listen: be out there and meet new people, everybody has something to offer or carry good ideas; some need comfort and others, support.
- Commit to something: look at the community and ask yourself and others: what is needed? What is wrong? If there is already a group working on that issue, join them! If there is none, why not to start one yourself? Communities improve one little project at a time…
- Make the resolution of looking at the world with awareness and compassion…what is going on? What is needed? How can you be of help?
“Sitting at our back doorsteps, all we need to live a good life lies about us. Sun, wind, people, buildings, stones, sea, birds and plants surround us. Cooperation with all these things brings harmony, opposition to them brings disaster and chaos.” ~ Bill Mollison, Introduction to Permaculture